Saturday, December 24, 2011

British Fashion Design


This study of the careers of young British fashion designers could not have happened without the co-operation and help of a substantial number of people in the industry, in fashion education and in fashion journalism. I would particularly like to thank Darlajane Gilroy, Pam Hogg, Barbara Sonnentag and Tracy Mulligan for their time and for the way they each seemed to know instinctively the kind of issues I was interested ub talking to them about. In fashion education I would like to strike a chord which helped me formulate the project as a whole. From the fashion media I would also like to express my gratitude to Glenda Bailey, Sheryl Garrett and Edward Enningful, all three also seemed to have their finger on the pulse I was keen to find. Thanks also to Anna Cockburn for her time, to Paul Davies for bringing to bear all his contacts and networks in helping me to pursue this study, to my other Thames Valley University ex-students including Jasarat Rana and Alev Adil, and to the library staff at Central St Martins for allowing me to work in their library, a crowded place which never fails however to produce what Raymond Williams described as 'delight in work'. This effect of enjoyment has also been produced with the background input of the writing and ideas of, amongst others, Judith Butler, Dick Hebdige ---so, indirectly, thanks also them.

No comments:

Post a Comment